NCTA Day One – from Tennis to Ties
By: Valerie Milano – Boston, MA (Hollywood Today 5-21-12
The Cable Show 2012 was kicked off on Boston’s Fenway Park last night on the right field deck. Destination America (part of the Discovery Communications) and on the jumbotron was publicizing the sponsors throughout the evening. The event was attended by 200+ journalists and prsenters for NCTA 2012, (though we wondered why the Cable Pioneers had their black tie event at the same time. (From tennis shoes to ties.)
The “Red Hot Pokers” entertained us with country pop music with a taste of southern influence making us feel at home while eating original ballpark hot dogs and burgers, following with Red Sox ice cream bars. Staff, band members and party favors were the cool grey Fenway Park colors. I was happily surprised to find my size t-shirt as I was leaving. What a beautiful first day in Boston.
The following day – Monday, next door to the convention center was the WICT, (Women in Cable Television), Signature Luncheon, held @ the Westin Hotel. The annual event gathers distinguished leaders to celebrate exceptional gender diversity and inclusion programming, honoring the 2011 PAR Best Companies for Women in Cable.
WICT is the largest organization serving women in cable, working tirelessly to develop and advance the influence of women in the industry.
Iris Bohnet, Ph.D., Academic Dean and Professor of Public Policy for Harvard Kennedy School delivered the keynote address. The event was hosted by Jeannie Mal of the Style Network and Salaam Coleman Smith, President of Style Media served as Chairman.
Top Programmers & Acceptors
Top Operators & Acceptors
- NBCUniversal, Bridget Baker, President, TV Networks Distribution
- Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., Kelly Regal, Executive Vice President, Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.
- Scripps Networks Interactive, John Lansing, President, Scripps Networks
- Discovery Communications, David Zaslav, President & CEO, Discovery Communications
- ESPN, Paul Richardson, SVP, Human Resources, ESPN, Inc. & Chief Diversity Officer, The Walt Disney Company
- Time Warner Cable, Glenn Britt, Chairman & CEO
- Cox Communications, Pat Esser, President
- Comcast, D’Arcy Rudnay, Chief Communications Officer & SVP
- Bright House Networks, Steve Miron, CEO
Suddenlink Communications, Jerry Kent
, Chairman & CEO
More to come with NCTA Day 2 and the winners of the Cable Pioneers Awards
Tags: Awards · Blogroll · Business · Celebrities · Columns · FILMophile · Tech