Coldplay Promotes Barack Obama on ‘Saturday Night Live’

October 26th, 2008 · 71 Comments

google
Coldplay's Chris Martin and wife Gwyneth Paltrow are the proud parents of two children

Chris Martin wears homemade armband and makes impromptu shout-out

By Matthew B. Zeidman

NEW YORK (Hollywood Today) 10/26/08 – These days, it seems one can’t mention John McCain, Barack Obama or Sarah Palin without also including NBC’s “Saturday Night Live” in the conversation.  Chris Martin, lead singer of the English band Coldplay, ensured the show would remain the center of political discussion this week by endorsing Obama’s presidential campaign twice during Saturday night’s broadcast.

During Coldplay’s second performance during the show, which was hosted by “Mad Men’s” Jon Hamm, Martin sported a white armband with the Democratic presidential nominee’s name handwritten on it.  At the end of the third song, Martin, who had removed the armband, yelled out “Barack Obama!”

The 31-year-old musician, who is married to actress Gwyneth Paltrow, previously expressed his support for Obama during an interview with Rolling Stone magazine released in June, where he suggested foreign opinion of the United States would improve if the Illinois senator won the election.

“If Obama was to be president, it would immediately change the whole outside world’s opinion of America overnight,” Martin posited in the publication.

Coldplay went on four times during the hour-and-a-half program, instead of the standard two times for musical guests, possibly because regular cast member Amy Poehler had given birth earlier in the day.  TV Guide reported Saturday that portions of the show had to be rewritten due to the baby boy’s arrival.

• 1 Mike // Oct 26, 2008 at 12:23 am

Good for Chris Martin for sharing his political beliefs, although I’m sure it won’t really make a difference election day just because the dude from Coldplay likes Obama. Although hopefully Obama can pull this one through.

• 2 Heather // Oct 26, 2008 at 1:07 am

Chris Martin delivers such a powerful presentation when he performs. (Glad he got to perform four times!!!) I would not be surprised if the same message he sends off with his excellent performance would not be picked up also by undecided voters, siding with him and voting for Barack

• 3 Marty // Oct 26, 2008 at 1:34 am

Eh!!!!!! your British “mate” – why don’t you sort out your own country which has the ‘despised’ Labor (UK equivalent of Democrats) in power.

The SNL crew could have easily edited it out but obviously felt it important that they solidarity.

I’m no fan of McCain – Palin (give me Rudy & Joe) but at what point should entertainment be impartial? Didn’t celebs learn their lesson after M Moore embarrassed about everybody during the Oscars. The sad fact is if your middle class you’ll fund either ridiculous programs (Democrat) or subsidize some fat cat (Republican).

As Billy Connolly once said “the mere fact one wants to be a politician should bar them from being a politician”.

• 4 Darla // Oct 26, 2008 at 1:45 am

Marty- you are aware that the “Live” part of Saturday Night Live means that the show is shown live and cannot be edited?

• 5 Geeba // Oct 26, 2008 at 2:44 am

Good point Darla. Also, the whole opening segment completely skewered the Obama, Biden and the Dems, reminding everyone of everything Repubs used to demonize Obama.

• 6 Geeba // Oct 26, 2008 at 2:45 am

Cough. Sneeze. Excuse me. : )

• 7 orbal1 // Oct 26, 2008 at 5:16 am

Obama? McCain?…Diet Pepsi! Diet Coke!…THERE’S NO ‘DIFFERENCE,’ KIDDIES! THEY’RE BOTH CORPORATE ONE-WORLDERS!

Me? I WANT THE ‘UNCOLA’!

VOTE THIRD-PARTY IN THIS ELECTION!

• 8 marian // Oct 26, 2008 at 6:22 am

I love you Chris!!

• 9 Cynthia Goldberg // Oct 26, 2008 at 6:26 am

name the four songs COLDPLAY played last night,…..please

• 10 Novah // Oct 26, 2008 at 7:36 am

^^^

Viva La Vida
    Lost!
    Yellow
    Lovers in Japan –which was cut off by the commercial break :(

• 11 Jilly // Oct 26, 2008 at 9:33 am

Regardless of who Americans are supporting in this election — Chris Martin, who is NOT a U.S. citizen and can’t even vote — has no place using a live tv performance to influence our elections. I’m a registered Democrat who lives in NYC and I still find this totally unacceptable as an American citizen and so should you.

If Obama supporters were pissed that SNL scheduled Sarah Palin for the show, even though SNL’s bent plenty of sketches towards Obama, they should be offended as Americans that a foreigner got a say.

They could’ve easily edited out Chris Martin’s live yell since the show’s on a time delay, but SNL didn’t have the moral balls to do it.

When I travel abroad, I don’t voice strong political opinions of a nations internal politics, even if it affects me — I’m a guest in their country.

• 12 Bryan O. // Oct 26, 2008 at 9:38 am

::Gasp:: I said socialist…I must be a racist.

• 13 Soctane // Oct 26, 2008 at 11:13 am

Jilly…is it acceptable for a country to invade another because it does not approve of their leadership? At least Martin did his in the non-violent express yourself kind of way. I doubt anyone suddenly changed their vote to Obama because of Coldplay.

• 14 Bryon // Oct 26, 2008 at 1:03 pm

I just wish these rich, famous people would stay out of politics, earn their millions and leave the rest of us alone to decide. Nothing that happens will affect them. They have everything already. He’s not even a US citizen. I like coldplay but it’s ridiculous what he did and I still might vote for Obama.

• 15 Phil // Oct 26, 2008 at 1:58 pm

No, bryan, not a racist… just not very bright.

“Dems running the country the last few years.” LOL. Right…

I can’t believe anyone is dim enough to believe this “socialist” crap. It would be funny if it weren’t so pathetic.

• 16 Daniel Shulz // Oct 26, 2008 at 2:08 pm

It was great to see that last night! It is silly to see how people here think that if you are not a US citizen then you don’t have the right to give your opinion, when this same people criticize foreign governments and probably support our government when it decides to invade other countries . If you haven’t realize it, what happens in the US affects the whole world. I’m not a US citizen yet, but my family and I have lived here for almost 7 years… when we arrived from Germany I could see that everything was ok… now life is getting hard and I see more poor people… I feel free to give my opinion in this because it matters to me and also affects me!… It’s time for change!

• 17 Florida Democrat // Oct 26, 2008 at 2:43 pm

“they should be offended as Americans that a foreigner got a say” You know Jilly maybe the reason that none of our allies in europe support us is because of comments like that. Even if you don’t mean it as it sounds it still sounds xenophobic

• 18 Daniel // Oct 26, 2008 at 2:47 pm

Actually, Phil, Obama is quite socialist. He believes in socialising medicine and making those who make money pay taxes so that the bums on the street can eat, drink, and be merry. They could easily have a job if they just cleaned up with the money the government already gave to them and applied for one that was at least semi-decent. But no.. They waste it on alcohol most of the time. It’s not fair or right for us to have to pay taxes for the pathetic people sleeping on the bench in central park and everywhere else in the U.S. just because they’re too sad to get a decent job. That is all VERY socialist.. Not to mention he plans on legalizing abortion for women up to 8 months pregnant (murder!!) and doesn’t even know how many states there are in the U.S. (He said in a speech, I believe, that there were 57 states. There are 57 provinces or states [whatever they are] in the Islamic community, but as we all know, there are only 50 here.) Obama is a very dishonest man.. But I also have to say that McCain is not much better. They both are likely to die if they become president anyway…

• 19 Jodie // Oct 26, 2008 at 2:49 pm

Yeah, I’m a Canadian, and a big coldplay fan. I have all their CDs and well, when he said “Barack Obama” at the end of Yellow… I felt a bit betrayed. I don’t like how the celebrities use their high social status to throw their politics in peoples faces. Honestly, I think your opinions should be kept to youself, because it seems like when you do say your opinion, it divides everyone. I really liked coldplay, and since I’m a supporter of Conservatives(Stephen Harper), I don’t know what to think. Does Chris look down on people who support McCain? Would he not want me as a fan because I don’t believe what he does? Would he say, like some of you people are saying, like “Your pathetic, racist, stupid”

Phil, your mean. Just because someone thinks differently than you doesnt make them less of a person than you are. Oh well, its not my country, though America does influence Canada a lot.

• 20 Dave // Oct 26, 2008 at 3:01 pm

hey Phil,
    Why not instead of insulting someone for what they say just prove them wrong since your obviously much smarter

• 21 Phil // Oct 26, 2008 at 3:04 pm

Daniel, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Unless you believe that Reagan, Clinton and both Bushes are also socialists, then you are just wrong. Either way, really. All of them support a higher tax on the wealthy and medicare, etc.

So until you learn what socialism is, you really shouldn’t throw the word around.

The rest of what you say is factually incorrect (He never said there were 57 states… that is a pathetic lie. Come on.)

And I don’t know WHAT your last line is supposed to mean. Is that a threat?

And Jodie, I am not mean. I am actually quite a kind person. But I am tired of the lies. You want to not like Obama for any legitimate reason… more power to you. I respect that completely.

But the lies are intolerable. And if people are going to spread them, then they need to be called out on it.

Look at Daniel… he is calling every president of the last hundred years a socialist! He’s calling the founding fathers, who pushed for graduated income tax, socialists!

If that isn’t ignorance, then what is it?

• 22 Bryan O. // Oct 26, 2008 at 3:20 pm

Phil, factually incorrect??? Straight from the horses mouth:

• 23 Phil // Oct 26, 2008 at 3:23 pm

Dave: Which part?

How about the “dems have been running the country for the last few years.” nonsense?

Ok. By “running the country” do you mean congress? And by few years, do you mean… Since the winners of the 2006 elections took office in 2007? Also know as LAST YEAR?

But let’s take the claim that they are running the country. For one thing, if your party isn’t president, you are NOT running the country.

Secondly, our government has three branches.

1. The executive: 100% republican.

2. The judicial – about 2/3 to 3/4 conservative on the federal level, even more in just the supreme court. This after years of aggressive court stacking by republicans.

3. The legislative. About 53% democrat. Which is barely control and not enough to override any veto, which shifts much control of congress to the republicans, because Bush has the veto.

These are basic facts. Anyone who wants to comment on politics should know them.

So when Daniel comes on and just starts lying, he NEEDS to be called out.

And this is from someone who voted for McCain in 2000 in the primaries.

• 24 Bryan O. // Oct 26, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Phil, factually incorrect??? Straight from the horses mouth:

Go to youtube or google and search for Obama 57 states and them come back here and say it’s factually incorrect.

• 25 Daniel // Oct 26, 2008 at 4:35 pm

Thank you Brian. I’m glad I’m not alone here..

• 26 Daniel // Oct 26, 2008 at 4:39 pm

So sorry… *Bryan.. Sorry man

• 27 Daniel // Oct 26, 2008 at 5:00 pm

Lying? HA!! Hardly.. I didn’t come here to lie. I originally came here to just see what Chris Martin had to say about Obama, but I read the comments and now a debate sounds reasonable.

What I mean in my last line (if this is the one I think you are referring to), is that McCain is pretty old and not in the greatest health. So, a heart attack is probable, and that Obama could be assassinated. Just something that my family and most of my friends believe could happen. So, a threat? No.

I can hardly care for a man who wants to be president of our country and won’t wear anything beaing the American flag, took the flag off his jet (or did he cover it with campain mess? One or the other.. Either way), and won’t say the pledge of allegance to the country he wants to govern. How constitutional of him! Oh wait.. I doubt he cares about the Constitution.

• 28 Toni // Oct 26, 2008 at 5:03 pm

Coldplay was paid to entertain. So entertain me and keep your political views to yourself. Only a very weak minded person would cast a vote based on the opinion of a celebrity. So stop taking advantage of the mentally challenged.

• 29 Phil // Oct 26, 2008 at 5:03 pm

Bryan, I apologize. I stated my objection incorrectly. I should not have said he didn’t say it, I should have said he didn’t believe it, which was your claim.

You are foolish if you think he doesn’t know how many states there are. Which is what you said. Clearly it was a slip of the tongue, just like McCain saying he clearly thinks PA is racist or any of a thousand others verbal gaffes.

You guys are so absurd with your “He’s Muslim! He wasn’t born here! He thinks there are 57 states!”

Give me a break. You sound like the 9/11 conspiracy nuts.

Oh, noes! He said the same number of Islamic countries! He must be one of them!

Do you think he isn’t briefed on Islamic affairs every single day?

Please. Support your side honestly and intelligently, not with this garbage.

• 30 Daniel // Oct 26, 2008 at 5:06 pm

*bearing

• 31 Josh // Oct 26, 2008 at 5:16 pm

Only a moron would change there vote because some singer told him too. Maybe Oboma promised him he’d raise taxes and buy every U.S citizen a coldplay CD
    Share the wealth.

• 32 Daniel // Oct 26, 2008 at 5:22 pm

The man doesn’t even care about America.. I could care less if he was Muslim or Islamic. What matters most to me is that he loves and cares for our country.. But he hasn’t shown any care from what I’ve seen except that he will make “change”… I’m anxious to see what changes there will be..

Sorry about all the spelling errors.. Typing is horrid tonight.

The 9/11 conspiracy is garbage. I’ve heard too many of those. Everything was obviously hit by terrorist driven planes and had nothing to do with Bush. Ugh. I’m pretty sure Obama is Muslim, nonetheless. Considering he slipped up in an interview in which the reporter had to correct him about his faith (that not being the only reason why I would believe he is, just an example).. If you like, I’ll find a video for you and post the link on here for you to see.

Who knows? He might turn out to be a good president after all! If we don’t like him in four years, we can just vote for a differnt person. But I am not convinced by him. He has hardly served in the U.S. Senate for 4 years! But, like I said, maybe he’ll be good. If he proves me wrong then I’ll gladly admit it. But I’ll never be pleased by his stand on abortion. I highly disagree with it.. But that’s a different argument.

• 33 Phil // Oct 26, 2008 at 5:23 pm

daniel said: “I can hardly care for a man who wants to be president of our country and won’t wear anything beaing the American flag,”

Are you kidding me. He wears a flag pin all the time. In recent debates HE was wearing one while McCain wasn’t!

It’s true that he likes his patriotism to be real and not about jewelry, but he does wear the pin.

“took the flag off his jet (or did he cover it with campain mess? One or the other.. Either way),”

Sigh. Lie. Look through google images. Come on.

“and won’t say the pledge of allegance to the country he wants to govern.”

Are you kidding me!? I’ve seen him say it myself! He says it all the time?

Why do you believe these lies?

” How constitutional of him! Oh wait.. I doubt he cares about the Constitution.”

He was a constitutional scholar, genius. He loves it more than anyone running.

“I’m still learning about socialist, liberals, republicans, etc. (meaning, the fine details about them), but I know for sure Obama has extremely socialist views, and I know quite a few people who are better educated on the matter than I who know that’s the truth and would gladly back me.”

If they would back you, then they don’t understand it, either.

Obama is no more socialist than McCain, Bush or Reagan. They all support the graduated tax and medicare, for starters.

Please, calm down. These kinds of lies happen every election, only made worse by cultural bigotry this time. Obama is no more a muslim or socialist than Sarah Palin or John McCain.

And shame on you for spreading lies. Defend your choice honorably or shame yourself with slander and paranoid lies.

• 34 Daniel // Oct 26, 2008 at 5:23 pm

Sounds reasonable, Josh. Hahaha

• 35 Phil // Oct 26, 2008 at 5:30 pm

Daniel, I’m going to bow out now.

I apologize if I seem aggressive or mean. I am generally not that way at all.

So I will apologize and go away.

I just ask this of you: please double and triple check anything you hear or read. There are a lot of lies floating around that are very despicable in nature and I hate to see them spread.

If you don’t want Obama as president, I 100% respect your choice. But please base it on reality, not nonsense spread by Rush Limbaugh and his ilk.

The smartest conservatives in the country have endorsed Obama… all McCain has left are the hate-filled, angry far right like Limbaugh. The smart ones like Buckley and Will and Parker abandoned him when he started his lies.

At any rate, you have a nice day and I’m sorry if I attacked you.

• 36 Daniel // Oct 26, 2008 at 5:38 pm

As far as his jet is concerned.. Mm.. I’d hardly call that the true American flag.. The stripes are kinda there and then.. A sun? Idk.. Something.. No stars though..

Limbaugh is passionate about what he does. What can you say? I don’t listen to him though.

I’d like to have some images of him wearing the flag.. Help me? If you want me to know the truth, you’ll need to help show it to me.. I’ll be looking myself.

Being a Republican myself, and because of the views I hold, I simply could not vote for Obama. He has made good points, but he has too many liberal cares as well. (i.e. abortion… **shudder**).

It’s been an interesting little “debate”. Have a nice day yourself. Keep in touch and keep me informed if you don’t mind and if it’s not to troublesome for you. Bye for now.

• 37 Phil // Oct 26, 2008 at 5:53 pm

Plane:

The flag is still on the plane, just not the tail.

You know who else doesn’t have the flag? Whose plane isn’t even red white and blue? McCain’s.

These lies are so destructive when talk show hosts spread them. Obama loves his country every bit as much as you do.

falg pin:

First image on google image search:

Again, recently in debates he was wearing one while Mccain wasn’t.

• 38 Phil // Oct 26, 2008 at 5:55 pm

That last link, by the way, shows you both planes. And it is a perfect example of why you should never believe emails or those hate radio hosts.

It’s interesting, everyone should look at it. And it is from AOL, far from liberal source.

• 39 Bryan O. // Oct 26, 2008 at 5:58 pm

When Obama said 57 states, he was referring to The Organization of the Islamic Conference which indeed, has 57 states.

• 40 Phil // Oct 26, 2008 at 6:12 pm

Bryan, if someone told you he was referring to Heinz 57 because John Kerry’s wife owned it, you would believe it.

And even if your conspiracy theory was true and he did get them confused, it’s about a million times more likely that he did it because he gets daily briefings on national security, including Islamic affairs since they are kind of important these days, no?

Stop believing garbage. Please. Talk about real issues, not nonsense. No one intelligent in the government or the world believes Obama is any less patriotic than McCain or anyone else. It is nonsense.

• 41 Phil // Oct 26, 2008 at 6:16 pm

Apparently my likes to answers for you Daniel is awaiting moderation. I guess they need to check out links first.

But please look here, for starters.

Just copy this and put it in google search, look at first result. It’s not a fringe site, it’s AOL.

“political-machine/2008/07/23/obama-flags-on-a-plane/”

• 42 Daniel // Oct 26, 2008 at 6:16 pm

That’s not what I heard.. He said, “..We’ve traveled to every corner of the U.S… I’ve now been in 57 states.. I think one left to go.. Alaska and Hawaii I wasn’t allowed to go to.. etc..”

This video has that and another thing about a tornado in Alabama. Lol

• 43 Daniel // Oct 26, 2008 at 6:18 pm

Thanks Phil.. will check

• 44 Daniel // Oct 26, 2008 at 6:21 pm

Interesting picture… But I see what you mean..

Don’t even reply to the one I was saying about Bryan’s comment.. I totally misunderstood what he said.. Still a good vid. Sorry

• 45 Phil // Oct 26, 2008 at 6:22 pm

Thanks Daniel, I do hope that things that are important to you are addressed or at least seriously discussed.

See you around.

• 46 Daniel // Oct 26, 2008 at 6:38 pm

But now that I’ve seen the picture of his plae before he redecorated it, it had a massive flag on the back and over the doorway… Now it has the tiny little flag there.. McCain’s plane isn’t any better, I will agree. I don’t like either of the candidates at all, really, and would prefer not to vote at all… The vice-presidentially candidates are only so much better. Biden is arrogant and Palin is.. well.. She tries.. Both are very enthusiastic though.

My uncle is an extreme “republican”.. or, at least.. He’s very very conservative. He makes many good points about the whole “socialist” issue as that’s one of the main things he deals with, so I’ll go to him with my questions.. Not because he’s biased or anything of that sort, but because he knows what he’s talking about (as I’m sure you do too) and has all the facts, which is where I lack mostly. I’m simply arguing with what I know. You can thank those who hve said anything around me for what I’ve said. I haven’t talked to my uncle about it, though, so he’s not part of this really. But thanks again for your help, Phil. I hope I learn more indepth about this political mess going on.

• 47 Daniel // Oct 26, 2008 at 6:39 pm

**plane!!!

• 48 MileHigh Scott // Oct 26, 2008 at 6:49 pm

Wow! just Wow! An artist- a free thinker- a singer, a songwriter, a musician. Self expression is what drives true artists.

It’s absolutely ridiculous to praise a performer for their passionate self expression and then criticize them when they say something you don’t agree with. There is no rule in musicianship that forbids polital comments.

Music is a powerful force. It is an artform with no boundaries. Tell me why any artist should not be allowed to express their beliefs.

The worst case scenario would be that SNL would threaten to not have them back again because they dared to voice a political opinion during a performance. When you have reached the level of popularity of Coldplay you can afford to get “fired” from a one-shot TV appearance show.

I don’t think that Chris is worried about his music sales and concert revenue suffering because he chose to endorse a candidate.

Don’t we all wish that we could loudly and proudly proclaim our Political opinions at work without repercussions?

• 49 Phil // Oct 26, 2008 at 6:55 pm

Daniel,

Just FYI, the plane’s original paint job was the logo of North American Airlines. Obama chartered the plane from them in the primaries. Once he beat Clinton (thank God!) and was the official nominee, they transformed it into an official campaign plane.

He wasn’t repainted to get rid of the flag, he was repainting because it was another company’s image. If he had leased the plane from a different company, it would have been the same thing.

This is all on Snopes, by the way.

Have fun talking to your uncle. I have friends who are far right, like I said, I even voted for McCain in 2000. I just want them all to fight fairly and tell the truth. I think it is dirty pool to try and make people think your opponent doesn’t love his country, that’s all.

• 50 Daniel // Oct 26, 2008 at 7:27 pm

I will enjoy a nice talk with him. I hope to get some reasonable info. I wish that both candidates would play fair.. But neither seem to be 100% in favor of it. But that’s politics for ya. Have a good one.

• 51 Jake // Oct 26, 2008 at 7:59 pm

WOW! What a heated discussion up there! I gotta say, this has been interesting, and as a “moderate,” I’m loving these banters.

First, I’d like to agree with everyone who says that he’s a performer and should not use that opportunity to voice a [controversial] opinion. I LOVE Coldplay as much as the next guy/girl, but that was ridiculous. Freedom of speech, yes. But, so is what Shenade O’Connor (spelling!) did years ago. Not as crazy, but same concept.

Also, a good point was made by someone up there…if we were to voice OUR opinions in a foreign country, we’d be killed (not in every country). Nothing xenophobic about it. Just fact. But this is America, so let the loopholes begin.

To all the “BARACK’S MUSLIM!” and Barack-bashing going on, just cut it out. It makes you look stupid and uninformed. I didn’t vote for him (absentee), but I know that I would never listen to someone bashing McCain, Bush, Clinton, etc. Stay informed.

And finally, Phil. Phil, Phil, Phil. I gotta say, you sounded like a jerk for a while there. But you and Daniel’s truce there was pretty awesome, I’m not gonna lie. But, as much as I disagree with a few things you say, there’s nothing anyone can do about it. For instance, some things hit me more than others, ie abortion. As a Biochem major at a big university, the science that Dems and Reps support shows something contrary to views of some…but I’m not gonna discuss/entertain any views on THAT!

But good arguments Phil. You sound like a jerk because it’s the computer, but shame on anyone who can’t see past the screen. You’re very informed, and I respect that.

• 52 micky // Oct 26, 2008 at 8:16 pm

“Paid to entertain,” “who cares what celebrities think,” etc: so may of the comments here were about that

so much of coldplay’s work – and of a massive number of musicians and actirs and directors and other entertaines – is political. from “strange fruit” to “if i had a hammer” to “the times they are a changin’” to “born in the usa” to “not ready to make nice” and, yes, some coldplay songs. “violet hill” is a political song, for instance, off their latest album.

• 53 Daniel // Oct 26, 2008 at 8:22 pm

Thanks Jake.. It was a cool truce. I like happy endings. Lol.

The pc will make anyone sound like the bad guy, but that’s life that we have to deal with..

I’ll hopefully be better informed in a bit..

• 54 MileHigh Scott // Oct 26, 2008 at 8:39 pm

Jake,

I watched the SNL and didn’t hear him voice anything controversial. Since when is the mere mention of a candidates name controversial? He didn’t say anything negative about the other candidate.

To your other point: yes he is a performer but he is a musician and NOT held to a pre-rehearsed script. Of course he used the SNL gig as an opportunity to perform, and saying the name of the candidate was part of his performance. I don’t care if he said “Barak Obama” or “John McCain”. It’s his decision as a performer.

SNL would have a hard time getting ANY true artists to perform if the contract stated that they had to sing their hit songs, word for word, without any additional improvisational comments, and by the way make sure all of the intrumental parts are also note-for note just like the single.

The beauty of SNL is that it really IS a live performance, and with any LIVE performance it is up to the performer to decide how to perform their piece- play it safe or take a chance…

• 55 Eddie // Oct 26, 2008 at 8:43 pm

As a huge Coldplay fan (and I am still after last night) I believe everyone has the right to express themselves, whether they are a citizen, resident or foreign visitor. This is what makes the free world so great.

I like Coldplay for their music and performances, but didn’t ask for or care to know Chris’ political views. Seeing and hearing his support for Obama was not surprising nor disappointing from a political perspective, but simply because it was unnecessary and probably not in the best interest of the band.

And contrary to what some of you seem to think, expressing his support for Obama will surely effect someone’s vote. Or at least that’s what Chris thinks, why else would he have chosen/risked to do so? Reality is that fame is power and there will be people that support candidates because of celebrity-endorsements…it’s called conformative-behavior.

If he chooses to insert himself, I hope Chris is not surprised or complains about those (especially his disappointed fans) expressing their discontent. Unfortunately I see nothing but downside (for Chris and the band) to his decision and actions.

In a recent interview with NBC, Tiger Woods was asked who he supported in the Presidential race. He declined to answer and when asked why he said “b/c it just complicates things”. I wish Chris hadn’t “complicated” things and simply entertained us with Coldplay’s awesome music and great performances.

• 56 Daniel // Oct 26, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Well I think I’m out for now. Hope everyone has a good night/day! Yay Coldplay!!

• 57 Jake // Oct 27, 2008 at 7:19 pm

MileHigh,

I totally understand where you’re coming from. I’m not surprised that he voiced his opinion, seeing how he’s married to a politically vocal woman. I just believe that when he states the name of a political candidate, level with me here, he’s not just saying it as a lyric. He’s obviously saying it to let America and others know who he’s supporting. If he said John McCain, I GUARANTEE, that audience (and the bulk of America) would be furious. Remember-he was wearing the white armband with Barack written on it, and only after did he exclaim Barack’s name. Suspicion: someone told him, “Hey, let’s not wear that,” and he had to defy that.

I still love Coldplay. I will still listen to them. But c’mon, even democrats admit that his exclamation was unnecessary.

Following Daniel, I’m out. I’m not one for political rants. But nice participating in it with everyone!

• 58 Brian // Oct 27, 2008 at 8:33 pm

As the most important country in the world, our Presidential election has huge ramifications to the rest of the world. Also, I believe he and Gwyny live in New York part time, so he at least has more than “traveller” status.
    As for the “socialist” misnomer, a progressive income tax system was originally proposed by Adam Smith, in Wealth of Nations (Smith is considered the first proponent of true capitalism.) For the McCain camp to state this is socialist contradicts about 200 years of political policy (even before income tax was implemented in the 1930s, most taxes in this country were on the landed classes.)

• 59 MileHigh Scott // Oct 28, 2008 at 7:59 am

Jake,

Agreed. I am a performing musician and have very strong political opinions myself, but I keep those opinions to myself when I am on stage. When I look out at a crowd that is enjoying what I’m doing it makes me happy that maybe- for that little bit of time- they are all enjoying something together, regardless of political beliefs.

There should always be a little mystery in the music and the musician, so that the fans can personalize it for themselves.
    I defend his right to make the statement, he is certainly at a place in his career that he can afford to upset some people, but I personally can’t afford to mix politics an work- it’s just too risky!

• 60 Catherine // Oct 28, 2008 at 4:06 pm

I arrived home late Saturday night and turned on the T.V., unaware that Coldplay was on SNL. I was delighted to see them but taken aback when Chris Martin blurted out, “Barack Obama” at the end of Yellow. I spent $$$$$$ for a Coldplay concert that was postponed from July to November; my daughter and I have been looking forward to it for months. With just 2 little words Chris put a bit of a damper on the upcoming show for me. I will get over it but I believe he was completely out of line plugging his political endorsement. Poor judgement Chris.

• 61 John McCain // Oct 28, 2008 at 5:08 pm

I agree Catherine. I love CP but didn’t think it was necessary for him to do that. Also, in response to Darla, SNL is live but there is enough of a delay to make edits in case something outrageous happens. Granted, Lorne Michaels is a genius, but he is still a major force in liberal media and just plain hates Republicans.

• 62 Billy W. // Oct 29, 2008 at 9:40 pm

Thank you so much for these true words Bryan.. i couldnt say it any better (they need to be repeated). “I have been a huge Coldplay fan for many years and have seen them in concert numerous times. I lost all respect for Chris lastnight after watching Coldplay perform on SNL. Are you guys really that blind? McCain is a horrible choice too but Obama is a VERY dangerous choice! The Dems have been running the country for the last few years and look what they have done to it! You think it’s bad now? Put socialist Obama in office and watch what use to be The United States of Ameria implode on itself.

::Gasp:: I said socialist…I must be a racist.”

And Phil is right about one thing; these petty arguments about pins and planes are irrelevant and a waste of time, but when it comes to what does matter, honestly look up the meaning of the word socialism.

• 63 Eddie // Oct 30, 2008 at 9:52 pm

Brian – Although you are correct to state that Adam Smith suggested a progressive tax system, I think you need to study the subjects of income tax and socialism a little further.

The progressive income tax was first adopted by Congress in 1861 (I know you think that this may only help make your argument stronger, but hear me out). The reason it was adopted was to pay for the Civil War, a “Public Expense”, not to “spread the wealth”.

The common mistake being made is that Republicans are against the progressive tax system. This is not true. To almost all Republicans progressive taxation makes a lot of sense and is justified when used to pay for Public Expenses (such as defence, infrastructure, etc.), but when used to “spread the wealth” this becomes welfare and “social justice” preached by Social Democrats.

A progressive tax system doesn’t automatically mean socialism. Spreading the wealth and more government control through regulation are the foundations of socialism.

Growing up in a country with strong social democratic influences and political control I have seen what the “Welfare Trap” means and how the spreading of wealth through an excessively progressive tax system can stall growth. Redistributing the wealth by taxing the “wealthy” even more and giving additional tax credits to those that already have a negative effective tax rate is not going to help this country recover from this recessions/crisis ASAP, nor will it help it reach its potential.

Sorry for getting so political, but I just had to comment on what I believe to be a common misunderstanding of progressive taxation and socialism.

• 64 Mark // Nov 1, 2008 at 8:39 am

The show is sometimes edited by the time it is shown on the west coast. Rage Against the Machine were denied a second song after hanging an anarchy flag over an amp, but Lorne Michaels is obviously voting for Obama anyway.

• 65 Rodd // Nov 1, 2008 at 6:53 pm

Darla, you ignorant slut. Once again you’ve missed the point entirely. There is a time delay on all “live” broadcasts so that any profanity or other undesirables can be bleeped out.
    On another note…Chris Martin..SHUT UP! You are a Brit and your government is even more screwed up than ours. I am finished with Coldplay. Arrogant, ignorant twits.

• 66 S. // Nov 4, 2008 at 1:49 am

WOO!

Go Phil!!!

• 67 Kiyoko // Nov 5, 2008 at 7:53 pm

has anyone ever heard of freedom of speech?! i mean come on, if you sincerely offended by Chris Martin said, then you’re just insecure, and if he would have said “John McCain!” at the end of the performance, you know you would have been joyful.

• 68 Jane Seymour // Jan 16, 2009 at 12:55 pm

[...]Thanks for sharing your work with us! Your theme is just awesome![...]

• 69 Mark // Jun 1, 2009 at 10:41 am

You are a very smart person! :)

• 70 David Marshall // Sep 30, 2010 at 11:02 am

Pledge of Allegiance?

“[ Footnote 4 ] The intelligence community believed that it was necessary “to conceal these activities from the American public in general,” because public knowledge of the “unethical and illicit activities would have serious repercussions in political and diplomatic circles and would be detrimental to the accomplishment of its mission.” Id., at 394 (quoting CIA Inspector General’s Survey of the Technical Services Division, p. 217 (1957)).” See [Footnote 4 of IV] U.S. 709 U.S. Supreme Court 1987 STANLEY military experiment case. [3] The “Veterans Right to Know Act” to establish the Veterans’ Right to Know Commission was proposed in the 2005 and H.R. 4259 [109th] 2006 Congress.[9] In accordance with the ongoing greater good necessity “to conceal these activities…” a veteran’s right to get the U.S. Senate’s “designed to harm” needed for treatment, and experiment identifying, evidence never became law.

To-date rejected is the U.S. Senate 1994 Report’s, “The Feres Doctrine should not be applied for military personnel who are harmed by inappropriate human experimentation when informed consent has not been given.”[8] Despite the 16 of 66 year efforts of some, the U.S. Congress has failed to protect service personnel from “to harm” experiments. Therefore, do not the U.S. Senate’s reported Department of Defense (DOD) “EXPERIMENTS THAT WERE DESIGNED TO HARM” [8] continue? All conducted under the cover of Patriotism!

Please have your members in the U.S. Congress give back to service personnel and veterans those rights that convicted rapists and murderers keep, e.g., “Written policy and practice prohibit the use of” [prison] “inmates for medical…..experiments.”! See page 13 of 14, REF: [6] The U.S. Supreme Court’s 1987 STANLEY [3] “to harm” DOD experiment is approved by the U.S. Supreme Court’s 1950 FERES [1] ‘can do no wrong, ends justify the means’ Doctrine. The STANLEY case is one of the U.S. Senate’s 1994 “During the last 50 years, hundreds of thousands of military personnel” were subjected to “experiments that were designed to harm”, e.g., the reported biological and chemical agents, radiation exposure, hallucinogenic and investigational drugs, experimental vaccines and behavior modification projects.[8] It is a dereliction of duty in direct disobedience of the DOD Secretary’s 26 February 1953 NO non-consensual, human experiments.[2] During the U.S. Senate’s reported past 50 years, most of the “to harm” service records were destroyed in a 1973 National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) fire. Congress’s 1974 Privacy Act censored experiment verifying witnesses from any surviving records!

After the 1987 STANLEY, Congress passed the 1988 Veterans’ Judicial Review Act (VJRA).[4] Established was the Legislative, Article I severely restricted, U.S. Court of Veterans Appeals. In 1994 its Chief Judge stated, “The Court simply identifies error made below by a failure to adhere, in individual cases, to the Constitution, statutes, and regulations which themselves reflect policy — policy freely ignored by many initial adjudicators whose attitude is, “I haven’t been told by my boss to change. If you don’t like it — appeal it.”[7] Congress dictated that, “The court may not review the schedule of ratings for disabilities or the policies underlying the schedule.”[4] Given to the Secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) is the Judicial Branch’s final authority on “the policies underlying the schedule” questions of law![5]

Each “to harm” experiment completes a Research and Development (R&D) process. Prior R&D is reviewed. The resulting Scope of Work defines what each experiment is “designed” to accomplish. The how, where, when and who is identified. The conducted RESEARCHED cause and effects are closely followed and recorded. From the results are DEVELOPED safe production, use, victim treatment and protection. Accordingly, at the time known are the recorded and withheld “designed to harm” resultant “schedule” disabilities with their identifying symptoms and treatment. Ignored by the U.S. Congress is the service personnel rights lost vs. prison inmate kept!

Overlooked by many in Congress is our “Pledge of Allegiance” “with liberty and justice for all” and the U.S. Supreme Court’s ignored own, carved in stone over its entrance, “EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER LAW”!

REFERENCES:

[1] 1950 – Feres v. United States, 340 U.S. 135, 146 (1950). http://supreme.justia.com/us/340/135/case.html

[2] 1953 – DOD Secretary’s 26 February 1953 NO non-consensual, human experiment’s Memo pages 343-345. George J. Annas and Michael A. Grodin, “The Nazi Doctors and the Nuremberg Code; Human Rights in Human Experimentation” (New York: Oxford University Press, 1992).

[3] 1987 – U.S. SUPREME COURT, JUNE 25, 1987, U.S. V. STANLEY , 107 S. CT.. 3054 (VOLUME 483 U.S., SECTION 669, PAGES 699 TO 710). http://supreme.justia.com/us/483/669/case.html

[4] 1988 – Veterans’ Judicial Review Act (VJRA), Pub. L. No. 100-687, Div. A, 102 Stat. 4105 (8 December 1988) DVA-Chapter 4 and http://law.jrank.org/pages/6784/Federal-Courts-Court-Appeals-Veterans-Claims.html#ixzz0MIKbF8ND

[5] “United States Code (USC) Title 38, 511. Decisions of the Secretary; finality.” US CODE: Title 38511. Decisions of the Secretary; finality.

[6] 1994 – U.S. State Dept., “U.S. Report under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights July 1994, Article 7 – Freedom from Torture, or Cruel, Inhuman
    or Degrading Treatment or Punishment.” Electronic Research Collections (ERC)

[7] 1994 – Chief Judge and colleague statements, Court of Veterans Appeals, Annual Judicial Conference, Fort Meyer, VA., 17 & 18 October 1994. Chief Judge Frank Nebeker’s Statement STATE OF COURT – - – URL: http://www.firebase.net/state_of_court_brief.htm

[8] 1994 – December 8, 1994 REPORT 103-97 “Is Military Research Hazardous to Veterans’ Health? Lessons Spanning Half a Century.” Hearings Before the U.S. Senate Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, 103rd Congress 2nd Session.

[9] 2005 & 2006 – “Veterans Right to Know Act” to establish the Veterans’ Right to Know Commission was proposed in the 2005 and H.R. 4259 [109th] 2006 Congress. H. R. 4259.

• 71 Hall H. // Dec 28, 2013 at 10:24 am

Frankly it’s a turnoff for me when an entertainer spouts out their political opinion in such a scenario. I’d be reluctant to go see a Coldplay concert because of their SNL performance in 08. I simply don’t care to hear who they support for this or that. Shut up and sing. If we want your political opinion we’ll read it in your interview in Rolling Stone if we care to. Now back to the Chive…